Sunday, July 7, 2013

“When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.” – Clifton Fadiman

One of my friends posted this quote on facebook earlier this week and so I just saw it yesterday when I got online and it really stuck out to me as being true and something that I need to remember.

The first few days in India were really hard for me. My internet wasn't set up so I couldn't talk to anyone from home, the food wasn't good, and the program wasn't what I expected it to be. I also didn't have the most positive attitude so that didn't help matters. I was super excited to go to India, but when I landed that feeling quickly left and instead I was dreading being here for 8 weeks.  After a couple of days of having a crappy attitude, some prayer, emails with my mom, and talking with Courtney I decided that I needed to have a better attitude and really try and make the most of this experience.

I really love traveling and so at first I couldn't figure out why I wasn't loving India. I then remembered all of my other trips and missing home right away as you settle in to a new country and try to figure out a routine. I realized that though I did really love all of the other countries that I had been for the most part I only remember the good things and the things that I loved doing. The more I thought about it the more I realized that there were many times I had these same feelings. All of this was a good reminder for me that things would be ok and that I would enjoy my time here.

I think it was also somewhat of a blessing that I didn't have internet those first few days and so I really focused more on Jesus and getting my strength from him rather than relying on people from home. Even though this isn't a mission trip and the focus is supposed to be more on gaining pharmacy/health care knowledge I can already tell that my faith is going to be strengthened as I go out of my comfort zone and really experience Indian culture. It really was good for me to pray together with Courtney those first few days (and I hope we continue to do this throughout the trip) and really ask for the strength to get through this experience. We also prayed to really love these people as God loves them and to see them how he sees them. Also that we would be reminded throughout the day that he is there for us in all the small little ways.

Some of the ways that God has shown up already in those small little ways include:

  • Amy giving Courtney a journal that she had written in on certain days and on the 2nd day was the verse Ephesians 3:20 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine according to his power that is at work within us." and she wrote a note about how much he can do through her even though she is probably doubting how she will be able to survive these 8 weeks
  • The facebook status from Grace that is the title of this post
  • Chris waking up in the early when I was seeing if my gchat would work and we were able to set up a time to skype (and then actually being able to skype with him)
  • My mom emailing me back with wise words of encouragement
Those are just the examples that I can think of right now off the top of my head of the ways that God has shown up these first few days in India when I really needed him to. I am looking forward to the ways he will continue to show up and the ways in which I will grow more in my faith as well as in the healthcare profession. I am also really glad that I am starting to enjoy India and can't wait to see what the next 7 weeks have in store!

1 comment:

  1. Emily..just home from camping with the family this weekend, by the way your presence was missed, and your mom shared how you were feeling. You are an amazing young woman, very brave and caring...wish I would have been as adventuresome at your age. I feel blessed to have you as a niece and am glad you are sharing your experiences with us. I know your mom will continue to give you good advice and was glad to hear you were able to talk with Chris...he seems to be a good fit to your wacky loveable self. Can't wait to hear all about your travels and experiences when you get home. We ate some Indian food this weekend and it was very good..especially the naan, but then again, you can never go wrong with bread. Prayers and much love to you.....Aunt Cindi

    ReplyDelete